Thursday, April 29, 2010

Home Sweet Suburban Home


For about the first year of married life, my husband and I lived in his two bedroom, two bathroom, 1,100ish square foot townhome in downtown Denver. We loved living there and enjoyed the great access to all that downtown living had to offer. Close to work for me (bonus!), close to many of our friends, close to all the bars and restaurants that we loved, and close to all the best shopping!! But we soon began to feel cramped in the small space and I longed for a home that felt like ours, rather than my husband's bachelor pad. We knew that looking for a larger home would mean a heftier mortgage so we began the delicate balance of finding a home that was larger....but in a location that we could live with and with a price that we could manage on one income (planning for the future!). We decided to move closer to my husband's job to cut down on his almost 2-hour commute per day; although that put us further away from my job (in the city). We knew that one day I would become a stay-at-home mom and I was willing to live with a longer commute in the short term.....so off to the burbs we headed. It took us approximately three months to find the house that we eventually purchased. We looked at many many many homes that were AWFUL, so when I came across the listing in the MLS for this home, I just knew it was the one.

What caught my eye was the brick facade on the front of the house. I felt it gave the house a bit of character in the otherwise unattractive homes of the suburban communities surrounding Denver. I never was a fan of the garage being the first thing you see on a house, but when you move out of the city and start looking at new(er) builds, your choices are severely limited. So I had to accept the fact that we were going to end up in a plain-jane suburban home and find something about the house that I loved. Unfortunately, although the brick on the home looked appealing in pictures, in person it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. I love the look of red brick (the kind of brick you find on older homes in the city), but the brick on this house is a blond color........just like every other house on the street. Here I thought the brick would set our house apart, but apparently the builder got a deal on brick that day and slapped it up on all the homes in the neighborhood. Wa-wa-waaa. Even if the brick wasn't all that I'd hoped for, the house did have other redeeming features, and I could visualize us living here and creating a home together.

No comments:

Post a Comment