Thursday, May 27, 2010

Where to begin??

When faced with trying to turn a house into a home, it's a pretty daunting task. Hanging pictures and placing furniture in an effort to decorate a home is a bit like throwing drops of water on a fire attempting to put it out. Small changes get lost in a sea of blah. I had lots of ideas but no real direction, and I knew I would need to make some big changes in order to make this house feel like home.

One day as I was folding laundry in my guest room, I had a light bulb moment. A friend had given us her bed, including the mattress, box spring, down comforter, bed skirt and bed frame, when she moved in with her soon-to-be husband. We just plunked the bed in one of our two guest rooms and called it a day. I didn't really need the bedding she gave us, but took it because she was in full-scale purge mode and just needed to get the stuff she had accumulated out of her house. Here is the bed as it sat in our future nursery (aka: guest room) for months:

Nothing particularly inspiring in this room......unless you look closely at the bed skirt. I liked the color and I liked the pattern, but I didn't have any of the other bedding that matched the bed skirt. I knew the bed skirt had come from Crate & Barrel, but the set had long since been sold out. I first contemplated using a white duvet, but quickly decided that would be too bland. I needed more color. So, I randomly decided to search ebay and was lucky enough to find the matching duvet cover and pillow shams. Score! Finally the direction I needed!!

Once the duvet cover and shams arrived in the mail, I set out to decorate the first room in our home.....the guest bedroom. I invite you back to see how the room evolved from bland and boring to welcoming and cozy.




4 comments:

  1. Hi There-
    Cute bedroom! Thanks for your visit! I found the fabric and joann's. My recipt didn't have a name, sorry. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Shauna! What a great score! I've always loved that pattern from C&B...can't wait to see more pics! You've got a great home:) Thanks for idea about adding decorative trim to my roller shades like Janell did (she is amazing!). I actually read her post when she published it and thought of my shades...except then I realized mine are in really rough shade (all the edges torn up, etc). Not sure if they are even worth the work, but it would be really cute! Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shauna! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog - we're not too far from your area of town, we're practically neighbors :). Cannot wait for IKEA, too! I'm totally up for a bloggy meet-up opening day...my neighbor recently told me she could picture me camping out for the doors to open!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete